2.10.14

In My Mind

source
Yesterday, like any other day, I was mindlessly pinning through my Pinterest feed (my daily routine), as I scrolled through the pins, I stumbled upon this image in which a meaning of a word was written:
hiraeth (n.) a homesickness for a home to which you cannot return, a home which maybe never was; the nostalgia, the yearning, the grief for the lost places of your past.
I noticed myself echoing the definition of this unknown word, it felt as though this word explained the inarticulate thoughts of mind, the feelings I've felt for quite a time.
And no, I've not been banished nor sent exile from any sort of place, I could always go back to the places of my past, if I wanted to. But, even if I stood in the grounds of my past, don't we all know it's not the same? Rather than yearning to return to a tangible location, to me the feeling of hiraeth is formed as a result of knowing you can never go back in time, it is remembering a happy, vivid memory but sensing an ache in the hollow heart. I think the Korean word: 그리움(keurium) defines this feeling just as adequately as well.

One of my happiest memories is from my childhood, it's not that I had the most spectacular experiences then, but because everything used to be much more simple as child, I feel it was much easier to be content.

25 comments:

  1. Hey, I saw that too (and I pinned it from you I believe). And I actually had a similar train of thought when reading it. Some moments in my life I know I have felt so much more content or less depressing at least. And like you said, everything seemed to be more simple as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel as though we are born with innocence(and innocence brings us happiness) then as we get older we forget it, only to remember them from time to time

      Delete
  2. I absolutely understand this feeling. There's a place that's particularly special to me and I could go back, but it wouldn't be the same and I'd much rather keep it as a perfect memory than risk tainting it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's just sad to know we can never re-live the moment, any moment actually.

      Delete
  3. Oh most definitely.

    That's one of the splendid things about being a mother that I love so much. You get to almost be a kid again with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know this feeling too well... I suffered from it this summer, so much.
    It's good to find you on instagram, Ellie, I followed you as NovemberGloom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get affected by this feeling more in Autumn... It isn't such a good thought I must say :(
      Thank you for the follow Mary! I love your photos btw :3

      Delete
  5. I understand the feeling, I think the problem usually is that even though you can come back, time changes everything and everyone. But If you can you should come back to those places ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really miss that place and I will visit again, someday :)

      Delete
  6. That is a beautiful picture.

    This was a lovely post and a lovely read Ellie. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a freaking amazing word, and post, and world.
    Thank you Ellie <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling the same way as I get ready to pack up and move from my childhood home. Too many memories in the walls that I feel I won't remember once I've left. Beautiful post, and photograph as well <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how it feels to move from a childhood home, you dont forget ever, because these memories will always be in the back of your heart.
      Thank you Baysie :)

      Delete
  9. Lovely post! I sometimes have the same sweet-bitter feeling of nostalgia and fear to go back because nothing will be as I left it... but life goes on and here we go, ready for new experiences!:)
    www.mygenerouslife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! You are absolutely right! Life goes on and what's left behind is left behind

      Delete
  10. I think you'd enjoy the Tumblr micro-blog Other Wordly, especially if you're a word monger like myself (I'm also a quote monger. Book monger in general). Anyways, I definitely agree with you on that whole missing-the-simplicity-of-childhood thing! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey's

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am there with you. One of my favourite places growing up was just hanging out in my nan and Pop's kitchen. My Pop built it himself and it was designed for short people- both he and my nan were only about 5 foot 3 inches. I would love to go back and stand it that kitchen but without their love in the room it would just be a tiny wooden kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, it's the love, friendship, the bonds that made these places so special, without them all it's just ordinary.

      Delete
  12. what a beautiful word. i always find it so interesting when there are words that describe feelings or situations that we don't have an equivalent of in english so i'm glad i found this post of yours. :)

    little henry lee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so exciting to find a word expressing our feelings!

      Delete

Hello!